Care home resident died after choking on large piece of meat


An inquest has heard how a care home resident died after choking on a large piece of meat.

Geoffrey Hull was a resident at Gracewell of Salisbury in Wiltshire at the time of his death on November 29.

The inquest heard Mr Hull was having lunch when he started choking. Staff at the home applied back blows and abdominal thrusts to the 78 year old and then CPR when he failed to respond. An ambulance was then called but Mr Hull subsequently died at Salisbury District Hospital, the Salisbury Journal reported.

The inquest was told Mr Hull, who suffered from Parkinson’s disease and dementia, was able to eat independently but was give assistance at meal times.

His cause of death was given as hypoxic brain injury caused by cardio respiratory arrest due to an obstruction of the airway.

The inquest heard that Mr Hull’s care plan recognised a risk of his choking on food but there had been no prior incidents.

Coroner Ian Singleton concluded Mr Hull’s death was accidental.

A Gracewell of Salisbury spokesperson said: “Geoffrey was a much loved member of our community and is greatly missed by all of us at Gracewell. He was truly a wonderful character and we are proud that he made his home with us. Our thoughts continue to be with his family at this difficult time.”

The post Care home resident died after choking on large piece of meat appeared first on Care Home Professional.


Source link