Care home resident died after choking on latex glove, inquest hears


An elderly care home resident who was living with advanced dementia died after swallowing a latex glove, an inquest has heard.

Seventy eight year-old Irene Collins was found dead at Firbank House in Ashton-under-Lyme, Manchester (pictured) on June 16, 2018, the Mirror reported.

A post-mortem of Mrs Collins found a latex glove had been “firmly” inserted into her larynx.

A Home Office pathologist said it was not possible to say how the glove had got there.

The grandmother, who was described as “loving and jolly”, was known to wander around the home.

Former home manager Tina Riley told the inquest that following Mrs Collins’ death staff at the home

had found out she had previously put a flower and a crayon in her mouth.

Ms Riley said that if this had been known prior to Mrs Collins’ death the incidents would have been recorded, reported to the mental health team and risk assessed.

Senior care assistant Kim Green said since Mrs Collins’ death all latex gloves at the home had been locked away and the sluice room doors locked. Ms Green added that a better care plan and reviewing system had been put in place. Ms Riley said the home had also removed a latex glove wall dispenser and put up signs to explain best practice for glove disposal.

Community mental health team manager Deborah Williams said it was not unusual for people living with dementia to try and eat foreign objects.

HC-One was fined £270,000 earlier this year after a resident at its Lomond Court care home in Fife died from eating cleaning tablets.

The inquest continues.

 

The post Care home resident died after choking on latex glove, inquest hears appeared first on Care Home Professional.



Source link