Choking, dehydration and burns risks flagged up at ‘inadequate’ care home


A litany of safety failings have been flagged up at a Lincolnshire home caring for the elderly and people living with dementia.

Chevington House in Bourne was rated ‘inadequate’ and placed in special measures following a CQC inspection in January.

Inspectors found that risks related to people swallowing and choking were not being managed. People were also found to be at risk of dehydration, including one person with a urinary catheter whose intake of fluids was not being monitored properly. People were also found to be at risk of harm due to inadequate medicine management.

The report also highlighted that people were at risk of being burnt by hot radiators. Inspectors found that radiators were covered with fabric protectors that could be easily removed.

Wellbeing Residential Ltd, the home’s operator, told Lincolnshire Live that risks to residents had been “grossly exaggerated” by inspectors and were not shared by health care professionals supporting residents, including GPs, nurses and therapists, as well as the local authority and residents and their families.

The operator added: “The views of the local authority, who have been exceptionally supportive, were that the report and actions taken by CQC had been completely disproportionate to the risks they had highlighted.

“As a small company we do not have the financial capability to legally challenge this situation, and hope that the public’s perception of our loving care home is not tarnished.”

The provider urged people to read reviews of its home and speak to its residents to understand its service.

Wellbeing Residential said it had requested the CQC’s enforcement measures to be lifted, describing them as unreasonable and unfair.



The post Choking, dehydration and burns risks flagged up at ‘inadequate’ care home appeared first on Care Home Professional.


Source link