Hallmark issues apology and pays compensation over E. coli death
Hallmark Care Homes has issued an apology and paid a family £500 after a resident died of E. coli.
The unnamed woman was the second resident to have died from an outbreak of E. coli that began at the home at Maycroft Manor in Brighton in June 2016.
An investigation by Public Health England found Hallmark’s infection control procedures to be deficient. The investigation identified salad leaves as the possible source of the outbreak. The salad leaves were removed from the menu shortly after a number of people became ill with diarrhoea.
The unnamed elderly woman tested positive for E. coli after being admitted to hospital on July 3 2016. She sadly died on August 5 2016.
A report by the Ombudsman found Hallmark’s apology, its payment to the resident’s family and revised infection control procedures as satisfactory remedy for the injustice caused.
A spokesperson from Hallmark Care Homes said: “Our deepest sympathies and apologies go to the resident’s family for the very sad events that took place in August 2016.
“We were devastated by the regional outbreak attributed to salad leaves. We have worked closely with all relevant stakeholders and authorities, including Public Health England and Brighton and Hove’s City Council environmental health team to fully understand what happened. We took immediate action and reviewed our infection prevention and control policies and we now have comprehensive measures in place to protect residents and team members.
“We take concerns raised by family members very seriously and have engaged fully with the residents family during this process.
“We are committed to providing excellent relationship-centred care for all residents, which is reflected by the home having a 95% approval rating from families on the independent comparison website, carehome.co.uk.”
The post Hallmark issues apology and pays compensation over E. coli death appeared first on Care Home Professional.