Man dies from septic shock following care home fall
A care home resident died from septic shock following a fall in a care home, an inquest has heard.
Anthony Walker died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital after being found by staff on the floor at Heightside Nursing Home in Rawtenstall, Lancashire, the Lancashire Telegraph reported.
Care consultant Dr Paul Dean, who treated Mr Walker, said: “Mr Walker was incredibly poorly on his arrival at hospital.
“He was unresponsive, cold and had to be anaesthetised in the emergency department in order to protect his airways and lungs.”
The inquest heard that Mr Walker had a long history of illnesses, including lung disease and mental health problems and had also battled drug addiction.
Staff from Heightside said they had done all they could for Mr Walker who would often refuse care.
Heightside registered manager Josh Adams said: “Most days he just couldn’t be bothered and he would reject care.”
Mr Walker died shortly after being admitted to hospital after refusing a nasal feeding tube.
The CQC said the home had done all that it could to provide appropriate support for Mr Walker.